Time for this week’s Roaring 20, looking back at a snow-filled weekend in East Lansing as Penn State dropped its regular season finale to Michigan State, 30-27.
1. Tough end to the regular season for the Nittany Lions in a game that was dominated by the snow. It started to come down about an hour before our Pep Rally on Saturday and didn’t seem to stop. As a native Michigander myself, it was a fitting homecoming.
2. Hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving. I certainly enjoyed getting back home here to Michigan to enjoy time with friends and family. It’s not something anyone should take for granted.
3. Shoutout to the field crew at Spartan Stadium, who worked hard all day and evening to keep the field lines cleared off as best as they could.
4. Another shoutout to our alumni in Michigan. Was great seeing Penn Staters come out to our final Pep Rally of the regular season. It’s been a blast traveling around the Big Ten this season and seeing how many Nittany Lion alumni and fans come out to support Dear Old State.
5. The weather conditions didn’t stop plenty of Penn State support from invading Spartan Stadium, either.
6. Great video from John Patishnock for Penn State’s team entrance.
7. Obviously, a disappointing day for Penn State. Jahan Dotson was once again a bright spot for the Nittany Lions, though. His two touchdown grabs brought his season total to 12.
8. Jahan is going to be an exceptional player at the next level. He’s had a historic season and career for the blue and white. One (likely) final act to come in the bowl game.
9. DaeQuan Hardy’s pick-six in the third quarter was Penn State’s third of the season.
10. Penn State now has a takeaway in 18 straight games.
11. Michigan State running back Kenneth Walker III is a heck of a player. The Doak Walker Award favorite toughed out a nagging ankle injury to once again help lead his team to a win. Walker III finished the day with 30 carries for 138 yards and a touchdown.
12. Nothing equals Happy Valley, but Michigan State’s campus was quite pretty, especially with a layer of snow covering the ground, trees and buildings. If you ever get out to a game in East Lansing, spend some time and take in the campus sights.
13. Penn State’s bowl game destination will be announced Dec. 5. The Nittany Lions look as though they’re headed to one of three postseason games: The Pinstripe Bowl, The Las Vegas Bowl or The Music City Bowl.
15. Michigan could be the Big Ten’s representative in the College Football Playoff if the Wolverines take down Iowa in the Big Ten Championship. That one should be an old-school defensive battle.
16. This week’s Football Letter will be delivered to members on Tuesday of this week, highlighted by John Black’s letter, game photos, videos, and other Alumni Association tidbits.
17. Thanks to everyone who followed along with us, whether that be reading the letter, checking out the blog or following us on Twitter. Your interest and support is much appreciated.
18. We’ll have plenty of coverage leading up to and at the bowl game — wherever that may be — so stick with us as we close out the 2021 season.
19. The winter sports season is also ramping up, with wrestling, hockey, basketball, and other sports all in action. If you’re in Happy Valley at all over the next few months, get out to a game or two if you can.
20. We Are!